Live Updates: Trump: Iran wants to make deal, US redirects 68 ships in blockade, threatens economic pressure
Trump: US had total control over the "entire region having to do with the Strait of Hormuz," and US military option still on the table • US planning to block Abbas from addressing UNGA in September
Follow us on GoogleShips and tankers in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Musandam, Oman, April 18, 2026.(photo credit: REUTERS/STRINGER/FILE PHOTO)
NATO members discuss Strait of Hormuz options without alliance involvement
NATO countries have sought to ease the Iran conflict indirectly, focusing on plans outside the alliance to reopen the waterway.
ByREUTERSVessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (photo credit: REUTERS/STRINGER)Go to the full article > >
Chance of Iran war expansion dropped after Trump declared economic warfare, officials say
According to the officials, US President Donald Trump’s decision to impose another harsh package of economic sanctions is intended to “buy time” until after the US midterm elections.
ByAMIR BOHBOTPrime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a special plenum session in honor of US President Donald Trump at the Knesset, in Jerusalem, October 13, 2025(photo credit: YONATAN SINDEL/FLASH90)Go to the full article > >
Iran’s Pezeshkian says war should end while Tehran holds 'position of power'
Pezeshkian's comments come after sources said earlier on Friday that the chances of the Iran conflict expanding in the near future have decreased.
ByJERUSALEM POST STAFFA handout photo made available by the Iranian Presidential Office shows Iran's President Masoud Pezeshkian attending a press conference in the capital Tehran, on August 8, 2026.(photo credit: Iranian Presidential Office / AFP via Getty Images)Go to the full article > >
Syrian FM says Damascus mulling Mecca Joint Defense pact, but rejects strengthening Iran ties
Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Hassan al-Shaibani visited Islamabad for the first visit by a Syrian foreign minister to Pakistan since the fall of the Assad regime in December 2024.
ByARSHAD MEHMOOD/THE MEDIA LINESyria's Foreign Minister Asaad Hassan Al-Shaibani speaks during a joint press conference with Lebanon's Prime Minister Nawaf Salam (not pictured) in Beirut, Lebanon, July 2, 2026.(photo credit: REUTERS/MOHAMED AZAKIR)Go to the full article > >
Oil tankers going dark to evade Iranian attacks raises major oil spill risk in Gulf - report
Three separate oil spills are already spreading through the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, putting multiple ecosystems at risk.
ByJERUSALEM POST STAFFThis photograph obtained from Iran's ISNA news agency on August 13, 2026 shows an oil slick along the southern coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, August 13, 2026. (photo credit: ISNA / AFP via Getty Images)Go to the full article > >
Trump says Iran 'would love' to make a deal with the US but isn't prepared to make the right one
Trump also said that the US had total control over the "entire region having to do with the Strait of Hormuz."
ByJERUSALEM POST STAFF, REUTERSUS President Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, US, August 7, 2026(photo credit: REUTERS/ELIZABETH FRANTZ)Go to the full article > >
US redirects 68 ships, disables three, boards two as part of blockade, CENTCOM says
Trump says Iran not ready to make the 'right deal', US has 'total control' over Hormuz
ByREUTERS
US Army Secretary Driscoll expected to step down by year's end - report
ByREUTERSOperation Roaring Lion: What you need to know
Israel and the US launched Operations Roaring Lion and Epic Fury on February 28, with the stated aim of creating conditions for regime change
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei was killed by an Israeli strike on a Tehran bunker. Iran’s defense minister and several IRGC generals were also killed in the largest-ever aerial attack by the IAF
Iran retaliated by firing across the Middle East at Gulf nations and US military bases in the region
Thirty-nine IDF soldiers and 23 civilians have been killed, and at least 7,693 more injured in ballistic missile attacks across Israel since February 28 • 18 US soldiers killed, CENTCOM says
A ceasefire deal was announced on April 7 and went into effect on April 8