Several people were injured on Friday at a Swedish school by a person armed with a sword, the Fagersta municipality in central Sweden said in a statement.

"A call was received regarding a case of ongoing deadly violence at a school in Fagersta. Police have responded to the scene and one person has been taken into custody," the police said in a statement.

The suspect was shot by police during the arrest, according to Sweden's national public radio broadcaster, Sveriges Radio. 

His condition is currently unknown.

Attackers previously targeted schools

The same school had received a threat in May of this year, according to Sveriges Radio.

Sweden's Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson addresses a press conference with Poland's Prime Minister in Gdynia, Poland on June 29, 2026.
Sweden's Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson addresses a press conference with Poland's Prime Minister in Gdynia, Poland on June 29, 2026. (credit: Marcin Gadomski/AFP via Getty Images)

Last year, a shooting at an adult education center in the Swedish city of Orebro left 10 people dead in what Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said was the worst mass shooting in the country's history. 

"Police are continuing to work at the scene with a number of different resources. The public is urged to respect the roadblocks and listen to police instructions," it added.

Fagersta municipality said that the school was evacuated and all the students were sent home.

The government is in close contact with the police following the attack, Justice Minister Gunnar Strommer said in a statement to Reuters.

"We have been informed of a serious incident in Fagersta. The police are on site and working very intensively on the incident," Strommer said.

This is a developing story.